Updated April 12th, 2016.
I see a lot of Macs in a day and most of them have a giant mess of files on their desktops. Cleaning things up, for most people, is a four-step process:
- Make a new folder
- Select the files you want to drag to the new folder
- Realize you can’t find the new folder because now there’s even more clutter
- Give up
There is a better way. It goes like this:
- Select the items that you want to put into a folder (use the Shift-click technique)
- Choose “New Folder with Selection” from the Finder’s File menu.
- There is no step 3! You’re done.
Here’s a little video demonstration. Click the picture below to start the movie.
This feature arrived in Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and it’s still present in 10.8 (Mountain Lion). I use it all the time. So will you.
Copyright 2008-2023 Christian Boyce. All rights reserved.