Updated December 14th, 2015.
Last Wednesday’s iPod/iTunes lovefest marked the introduction of the iPhone 3.1 update. I installed it on my iPhone 3GS without a problem though the process was very time-consuming. Figure on at least an hour to get this done. Of course it’s completely automatic: connect your iPhone to your Mac, and when iTunes launches click on the iPhone icon at the left, then Check for Updates. Then go do something else, because you don’t want to mess with the computer while the update is being done.
Keeping in mind that this is a free update*, you get a lot for your money. Apple shows a list of the improvements when you go to install it but here’s the Executive Summary:
- Genius recommendations for Apps
- Genius Mixes
- Download ringtones
- Organize Apps via iTunes
- More flexible synching of music etc.
- Remotely lock the iPhone in case you lose it (wow!)
- Voice Control now works with Bluetooth headsets
I’d get a copy of iTunes 9 before you do this (in fact, I think you have to). That’s free too. Here’s the link.
* “Free” means “free if you have an iPhone, $4.95 if you have an iPod Touch.”
Copyright 2008-2021 Christian Boyce. All rights reserved.